"A gracious manor and cottages of mellow stone . . . between history-steeped hills and a coast of golden sands . . ."Standing proudly at the foot of the Cheviot Hills, on the edge of the glorious Northumberland National Park and only 15 miles from the alternating sands and rocks of the coastline, Akeld Manor cottages offer the perfect setting for a holiday in England’s fascinating and beautiful Border country. The gracious Manor House and its cluster of cottages and mellow stone buildings have been sensitively renovated and converted to create an outstanding collection of holiday properties – all with shared use of a superb choice of facilities. A leisure building houses a wide range of amenities (available daily, all the year round) which include an indoor heated swimming pool
with changing and shower facilities, a Jacuzzi and sauna. There is a well-equipped multi-gym, too, and the first floor of the building features a large games room (with pool table, table tennis and football game) and a separate snooker room with full-size antique table. The cottages are set in acres of shared grounds, which offer space for relaxing and for children to play, and they lie within 2 miles of the shops and inns at Wooler.
The Northumberland National Park stretches south through Kielder and Wark Forests as far as Hadrian’s Wall, and north to the Scottish border. Long stretches of sand can be found lining the coast south of Berwick-upon-Tweed (16 miles). At Beal (13 miles), the road to Holy Island runs gently down to the shore, where it becomes a causeway covered and impassable at high tide.
These quaint cottages, some of which have originally been cartsheds and byres are charmingly set in small groups within the spacious and colourful grounds. The large Manor House (which provides accommodation for parties of 15), also has a splendid large walled garden allowing total privacy. The setting of these cosy cottages is intriguing, many with small courtyards and gardens, a truly interesting and imaginative conversion full of detail and character – the individual and tasteful interiors are delightful. Shops 2 miles.A traditional, stone single-storey cottage in a lovely courtyard setting. Entrance hall. Sitting room with dining area. Modern fitted, well-equipped kitchen. Double bedroom. Twin bedroom. Bathroom with shower cubicle and toilet.
- Shared facility charge (excl VAT) £27 (July–Sept), £38 (Oct–June) pw; pro rata per short break
- Small garden patio with furniture
- Bed linen inc
- Shared gardens and grounds
- Garden furniture
- Indoor heated swimming pool (30ft x 15ft) with Jacuzzi, shower and changing facilities
- Games room with table tennis, coin-operated pool table and football game
- Snooker room (adults only)
- No smoking (anywhere on complex)
Use of the pool is occasionally shared with other properties at Akeld Manor not featured on this website.
The leisure complex normally operates on the opening times of 10am to 5pm, however, they may change at certain times of the year.EXTENSIVE INDOOR FACILITIES:
- Indoor heated swimming pool with Jacuzzi, shower and full changing facilities (usually opens 10am to 5pm but may change at certain times of the year)
- Sauna (foc) with small sitting area
- Fully equipped fitness room
- Games room with table tennis and football game
- Separate snooker room with full-size antique table (for adults only)
- Separate pool table with 2 coin-operated tables