After navigating the holes and puddles in the road leading to the cottage, we arrived there to a pleasant surprise. We had been left bread, milk and a bottle of wine which was a reall nice touch.
The rooms are spacious and every need catered for. A log fire, and outdoor patio furniture, but those really aren't important, it's important that the basics are right, here they fall well short of anybody's expectations.
On the surface it looks clean, but deep down it most certainly ain't.
The kitchen units, especially under the sink, smell badly of damp, even the wall units. All the crockery we intended to use had to be washed and left out on the worktop. Only the fridge and microwave were something like. The hob had grease marks running down the side and rust marks on the elements. The toaster was quite full of old breadcrumbs. Windows hadn't been cleaned for weeks, something we had to do. Old food jammed down between the leather cushions, cobwebs everywhere and weeds in the outside patio area in abundance.
The beds and linen were clean and crisp, but carpets were filthy, the kitchen floor was disgusting, looks like it's never seen a mop, or had disinfectant on it from people walking chicken poo in that you find on the path.
I could go on forever with faults in this cottage. The main thing that does concern me is the electrics here. The main cooker point is 75mm away from the back cooker ring , the place where the washer plugs in, dangerous or what.!! Has this cottage got a certificate .?
The bathroom is another disaster area where a hole in the floor is covered by a bath mat.!
The whole cottage has black damp patches, I understand it is old but in this day and age in can be dealt with.
This is our first experience in renting a holiday cottage and perhaps our last